Massage is a relaxing therapy that has existed for thousands of years. Memphis massage therapists use a range of kneading, cross-fiber friction and gliding strokes to work muscle tissue, relieving tension and enhancing circulation. During a massage, the client is usually nude but covered with sheets. Massage therapists use oil to lubricate skin and only the area being massaged is exposed. Modesty is always observed.
Many people may not realize that massage therapy has many important health benefits and only think of it as pampering. However, the therapy is highly beneficial especially when used regularly.
The Best Massage Technique For You
The kind of massage therapy that’s right for you will usually depend on what you aim to achieve from it. If you’re after relaxation and release from stress, gentler, holistic types of therapy are probably suitable. If you’re suffering from a postural problem or musculoskeletal injury, a sports or Swedish massage would likely be very beneficial. However, many therapists can offer both approaches.
It is very important that you build a rapport with the massage therapist in order to relax and enjoy the experience.
Common Types Massage Therapies
Swedish massage therapy
- This is the most common form of massage. It is also known as massage therapy. The massage therapist performs long soft strokes, rubs down, and makes circular motions on the muscle surface using massage oil or lotion. Swedish massage technique is very soothing and mild. Try this form of therapy if you’re having a massage for the first time.
- This type of massage is done by using a number of essential oils, which come from scents of certain plants. Aromatherapy may be used for certain needs. The massage therapist selects oils which are stimulating, relaxing, balancing and stress-reducing, etc. Lavender is the most common oil used in aromatherapy.
Hot stone massage
- Hot stone massage therapy is beneficial for loosening tight muscles and balancing energy centers. Smooth, heated stones are placed at specific points on the body. They then warm and reduce muscle tightness while balancing the body’s energy centers. During the treatment, the massage therapist gently applies pressure on the body using stones. This generates warmth which is comforting.
Deep tissue massage
- This type of massage Memphis therapy focuses on the deeper muscle layer as well as its connecting tissue. A massage therapist applies slow strokes or sometimes uses friction technique across the grain of muscle.
- This is also called pre-natal massage. Pregnancy massage is increasingly becoming popular these days as it’s used to reduce stress and swelling from pregnancy.
- Thai massage adjusts the body’s balance, applying simple force on specific points. This massage technique also uses stretching and contractions.
- This form of massage can help in treating constipation, sleeping problems and colic. Research has shown that regular massage therapy can help premature babies to quickly gain weight.
- This technique is also known as foot massage. It also encourages healing in other areas of the body.
Here are some of the health benefits of having a massage:
- Although massage should not be used in place of a chiropractic diagnosis, it can gradually and naturally improve posture by making the spine and its surrounding muscles more supple and flexible. Improved posture also helps in breathing and reducing tension all over the body.
Promotes deeper breathing
- Deep breathing is crucial as it ensures that oxygen easily circulates throughout the body, and promotes growth and healing in the process. Reduced oxygen circulation causes random muscle pain, tension aches, and headaches that can develop into a serious problem over time. As massage enhances oxygen intake, it naturally encourages the release of negative energy and toxins within the body.
- Massages improve both lymph and blood circulation, helping the body to gain strength and maximize the energy level. Particularly during winter when metabolisms and circulation can be slower, massage may help in getting rid of toxins in blood and promoting fresh energy to circulate. Improved circulation also aids muscle growth, recovery, and enhances the natural process of healing.
Enhances skin health and skin tone
- When using high-quality creams and oils, a therapist can considerably improve the health and tone of the client’s skin after only a few sessions. Skin cells get revitalized, replenished and moisturized naturally. For maximum benefits, you should use vitamin E or a natural grapeseed oil base.
Promotes a calm mind
- Massage help to enhance a calm mind, creating room for creativity. When our minds are calm, they are ideal for creative thinking, formulating plans, reducing stressful thoughts, and organizing thoughts. Massage relaxes the entire body to promote a calm mind.
Increases and enhances joint flexibility
- Overused joints or repetitive stress can retard growth and cause problems later. A massage can help to ease stored tension and promotes flexibility of joints after rest.
- A successful massage therapy can significantly decrease anxiety. Anxiety is usually stored in certain key parts of the body, such as the lower back, abdomen, shoulders and neck. Massage relieves tension from these areas, allowing the mind to release anxiety and experience an almost freeing sensation.
Promotes mental alertness
- While a massage therapy can bring about a feeling of deep relaxation, it can also bring a state of high mental alertness. It makes your mind calm and relaxed, but highly alert. In this state, your mind is able to solve even the most difficult problems.
- Massage therapy can boost your immunity by increasing the number of white blood cells in your body. White blood cells defend your body against infections. Having a large number of white blood cells makes your immune system stronger. This, in turn, increases your body’s ability to maintain good health and fight infection.
Helps to treat cancer
- Because of the numerous benefits of massage Memphis, it is especially beneficial for people undergoing treatment for or living with serious illnesses, such as cancer. Many studies have proven that massage can help relieve pain, fatigue, anxiety, nausea, and depression in cancer patients.
When massage should be avoided
Massage is not recommended for people with cancer or severe psychiatric illness. It is important to seek professional advice if you’re pregnant or have any of these conditions:
- Severe back injury or pain
- Skin inflammations, infections, bruising or fresh scar tissue
- Undiagnosed bumps or lumps
- Varicose veins, thrombosis or phlebitis
Regular massage can strengthen and tone your whole body mechanism, and help to prevent avoidable injuries and strains that can otherwise result from extra tension and structural weaknesses. It can also calm or stimulate the nervous system, and therefore help reduce fatigue, making you feel revitalized. At its best, it can restore you mentally, physically and spiritually.
It’s important that massage Memphis therapy be performed by a qualified therapist. If you doubt your health status or whether you’ll benefit from a massage, consult your doctor for professional advice.